You’ve heard about Vitamin D before. But what can it actually do to improve your life? Scientists are claiming that this miracle vitamin – vitamin D – decreases the risk of cancer and other serious illnesses. Vitamin D can be found in a variety of food sources: salmon, vitamin D fortified milk, ready-to-eat cereals, eggs, cheeses and dietary supplements. However, some scientists say that up to 80 to 90 percent of vitamin D is derived from sunlight, not diet.
The following are just some of the recent findings about the health benefits of vitamin D and sunlight:
- Breast Cancer – William B. Grant, PhD, conducted an extensive study on the connection between breast cancer and vitamin D. He concluded that while proper diet and exercise may reduce the risk of breast cancer, the risks can be cut in half by sufficient levels of vitamin D found in vegetables, sunlight, artificial UVB exposure and supplements.
- Diabetes – Researchers in Finland have found that people who took vitamin D supplements were 80 percent less likely to develop type 1 diabetes.
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS) – A study by Kassandra Munger, Msc, concluded that women who get at least 600 international units of vitamin D each day (equivalent to a multivitamin) are 40 percent less likely to develop MS than those who are not taking supplements.
- Osteoporosis – Experts recommend a combination of calcium, vitamin D and phosphorus as treatment for osteoporosis and prevention of spine and hip fractures.
- Prostate Cancer – Esther M. John, PhD, and Gary G. Schwartz, PhD, found that men who had high exposure to the sun cut their risk of prostate cancer in half.
- Psoriasis – According to the Natural Psoriasis Foundation, sunlight is one homeopathic treatment for psoriasis. Experts recommend sun exposure at least three times a week. Be sure to give all affected areas equal and even exposure. But be careful, too much sunlight can worsen the condition.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) – While extreme cases are treated with light therapy devices, milder cases may be treated with increased exposure to sunlight. In fact, one study found that a one hour walk in the winter sun is equivalent to two and a half hours of light therapy.
Add more Sunlight with C-Thru Sunrooms
There are many ways you can incorporate more vitamin D and sunlight into your life. C-Thru sunrooms offers custom sunroom designs so you invite more sunshine and energy efficiency into your home. If you’d like to learn more about the benefits of adding a sunroom, give us a call or find a dealer near you.